Saturday, November 2, 2013

Warrior Women Fighting for Life by John P. Flannery



Michelle Batt and Nicole, fighting breast cancer
            
             The courage to be told you may die, to fight cancer, to submit to aggressive therapies, and multiple surgeries and reconstructions, to endure the terror and the fear that your efforts may fail, to risk death therefore, always uncertain the procedures will work, to live, and to tell others what you’ve learned, to warn them, so that they may avoid cancer and live, that’s a warrior and, as it’s about breast cancer, it’s about women warriors.

            Michelle Batt is such a warrior.  Her story is not for the weak of heart.  But it signifies one of two significant ways women may be at risk of breast cancer.  She couldn’t have done anything to avoid her risk.  She was born with a genetic mutation that, after many replications, dividing without normal controls, can prompt an abnormal growth, a tumor – and it may be malignant, meaning cancerous.  There is a genetic blood test to detect the mutation’s presence but many don’t know to take the test.  Michelle jokes, “I’m a mutant – and I know it.”  

There are two kinds of inherited harmful mutations, the BRCA1 gene or BRCA2 gene.  A woman who has either gene has an 85% lifetime risk as compared to 12% for the average woman of developing breast cancer, and about a 50-50 chance of ovarian cancer.  Worse, it strikes women in their late 30s and 40s – if they have this mutated gene.  Michelle had the BRCA2 gene.

If you have this gene, Michelle says, you have to review the implications up and down your family tree – as a precaution.

Michelle’s father, Edward, and sister, Rose, both had cancers, her father lung cancer, and her sister breast cancer.  “That’s how it started,” Michelle said, “each raced the other to have their surgeries first.”  

“They had missed the cancer on Rose’s mammogram,” Michelle said, “Rose found it herself, at 45, then found she had cancer in both breasts, and she caught it late.”  

After the surgery, “we were high-fiving” but, Michelle said, “3 months later for my sister and 5 months after my father’s surgery, both had metastasized cancers.”

“We went to get genetic testing, my sister Rose and I,” Michelle said, “and found she carried the BRCA2 mutation, and I had my test.  I had it too.  It didn’t take me long to have the surgery. It was more a matter of fear – running toward it.”  

She lost her father and sister but has survived herself because of them.  

Michelle said, “I’m so glad that Angelina Jolie has spoken out about her BRACA1 mutation, it’s made a big difference for the better; it’s the same decision I had to make.“ (The Jolie op-ed appeared in the New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/14/opinion/my-medical-choice.html?_r=0 )

Nicole has another side of the breast cancer story.  (Nicole preferred some privacy, so we have withheld her family name and any picture of her face).  Nicole had no mutation in her family history.  Nicole was a “workaholic, stressed at work,” she said, and her supervisor kept after her to see her doctor.  “My boss made me go,” said Nicole.  “It was good I went. I was 39 at the time when diagnosed with breast cancer, on May 1st, of this year.  My gynecologist found the lump in a normal exam.  That’s why you should go regularly.  My doctor said, if I had gone 6 months later, we’d be having a different conversation.”  

Both Michelle and Nicole emphasized that younger women with denser breast tissue may, for that reason, conceal the malignant growths they may have.  Nicole said, “3-D mammograms show what 2-D mammograms miss.  So we encourage woman of all ages to make these visits and to pay the extra or get the grant monies that will pay for a 3-D.  RIA Associates will discount a 3-D mammogram for the price of a 2-D mammogram to help fight this disease (http://www.riassociates.com/files/Tomosynthesis.pdf ).

“In my case,” Nicole said, “they found the growth on the 3-D mammogram when it hadn’t been noticed on the other tests.”

At the end, Nicole will have had 6 surgeries. “The worst of it,” Nicole said, “was the chemotherapy, it’s like the worst flu you could have lasting a week and, just when you begin to recover, you go back for more chemo.” 

As for the best, “it’s having other women hear my story,” said Nicole, “having them taking measures to protect themselves, women who hadn’t gone in, making appointments, taking 3-D mammograms, and getting genetic tests.”  

Nicole said, “supervisors should do what mine did, they allowed others in my office to volunteer their sick time to my account, from this past May through December.  My husband took off from work to help me through my long bouts with chemotherapy, and he joked how he expected I’d choose Pam Anderson boobs as my replacement.”

Nicole is going to have a double mastectomy and plastic surgery early next year.  “I’m taking to the hospital,” Nicole said, “a t-shirt that I’m wearing on the way out of the hospital that says, ‘Yes, they’re fake; my real ones tried to kill me.’”

Michelle works with “Facing Our Risk of Cancer,” and they reach out into the community to help (www.facingourrisk.org ).  “That’s what I do now,” Michelle said, “try to help others.”

No comments:

Post a Comment